What are Equi-Gems?
Equi-Gems are organic gemstones that are self renewing, and cause no harm to the animal in the harvesting process.
Equi-Gems are pieces of horse hooves that have been cut and polished to bring out their gemstone like beauty, and set into jewelry.
How do you get your raw material?
Every 4-6 weeks (some horses can go longer), horses need to have their hooves trimmed. Much like we humans need to trim our finger or toe nails. As long as the horse is healthy, the trimming does not hurt them. In fact, not trimming their hooves can, and does, do more harm than good.
Do the Equi-Gems pieces smell?
Not at all!
I clean them, sterilize them, and let them air dry until they are ready to work with. Once dried, there is no more scent to them than there is to any other gemstone.
Will you make jewelry from my horse’s clipping?
I sure will!
Next time your farrier or trimmer is out, pick up some of the pieces they take of your horse’s hoof wall.
No frog or sole, please!! Frog and sole do not work for Equi-Gems.
Rinse off as much dirt, muck and manure as possible, and dry. Place into a zipper top plastic bag, and store in the fridge, until you can get them mailed out to me.
How long will it take?
A minimum of 3 weeks from the time I receive your clippings.
How much will it cost?
For a custom Equi-Gem, the base price is $45.
That gets your clipping cleaned, processed, cut, polished and set in either sterling silver or copper.
Can you set my Equi-Gem in gold?
The charge for gold is over and above the base price, and is dependent on the weight of the setting.
Gold also requires a non-refundable deposit of $100.
All of this will be discussed with custom Equi-Gem clients.
Okay, I don’t have a horse, but still want an Equi-Gem…How do I get one?
That’s easy peasy!
Check out our Equi-Gems For Sale page.
There you will find pieces made from the 4 equine residents our Midnight Calico Farm. Every one, a one of a kind piece.
Pieces will change frequently, so if you see something you like, contact us! Once it’s gone, it can’t be duplicated.
I’m going to have to help my horse cross The Rainbow Bridge soon. Can you make me a Memorial Equi~Gem?
Yes, I would be honoured to do that.
Follow these 6 steps:
- Take your piece of hoof after your equine friend has crossed over. This way, there are no worries about holding up a foot, balancing, or causing further distress.
- Take as big of a piece as you are comfortable with. As cold as it may sound, the bigger the piece, the better. It will give us more options for jewelry when you are ready. Take pieces from all 4 feet, if you can. Every hoof will polish up different. Again, it’s options. Don’t be afraid to ask for help with this.
- Rinse off as much of the muck and mud as you can. Pat dry, and place in zipper bag.
- Put the bag in a cool place. A fridge, or freezer is best. If you don’t want to store the clipping(s) yourself, contact me. I can, and will, store it for you, until you are ready.
- Contact me when you are ready. Give yourself at least 6 months. Be ready to talk about your equine friend. I’m going to ask you about them. I want to be able to make you the best piece possible, to represent your relationship. Something you are going to be proud to wear.
Any other questions?
Contact us at
We’d be happy to answer your questions!