She could smell her favorite gingerbread cookies before they even hit the oven. 😉
I don’t know what it was about that particular recipe, but that horse would call for them as soon as she smelled me baking them. And, if I happened to go out to the pasture with a few warm-from-the-oven ones for her, she’d love me for days and days afterwards.
Cookie’s Gingerbread Cookies
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon 😘
1/4 tsp ground cloves ~ I used fresh ground nutmeg instead, because I have it on hand for egg nog.
6 tbsps unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 tsps vanilla
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper
- whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt ginger, cinnamon, and cloves (nutmeg)
- in large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and egg on medium speed until well blended
- add molasses and vanilla and mix until well blended
- gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth
- wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in fridge for 15 minutes
Now, from here you can leave the dough in the fridge for up to a week and bake as needed.
When it comes to baking, you can roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut into shapes, or you can do what I do…
- Roll a tbsp or so of dough into a ball.
- roll ball of dough in white sugar to coat
- place on parchment lined cookie sheet
- smoosh a wee bit flat
- bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes
Simple, easy peasy gingerbread cookies that made my darling Paint lose her mind. 😉